Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Memories Are Made Of This


Today marks the 50th anniversary of Bill Shankly's arrival at Liverpool. He lost his first game 4-0, a result which would doubtless have had Hicks & Gillett phoning round for a successor & generally scheming behind his back. Here's a gem from the BBC archive featuring the man himself in conversation with Liverpool sculptor Arthur Dooley on the Anfield pitch in 1972:
I defy any Liverpool fan old enough to remember the old Kop not to have a lump in his or her throat as the camera pans away for a wide angle shot of the old terrace as You'll Never Walk Alone is sung.

2 comments:

Guillaume said...

Reading you reminds me on how little I really know about Liverpool.

Liverpool Preservation Trust said...

I have the full tape of the Dooley programme.
By co-incidence I stopped to talk to Roger Philips in Seel Street right outside the building which still contains Arthurs studio intact as the day he left it.
I spoke to Paul Dooley some time ago now living on the south coast. Shankly yes nut how many people know of the gratness of the man Arthur Dooley. I shal post one soon.

Wayne Colquhoun